A Little Space to Call Our Own

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker


The 2 of us

Monday, July 9, 2007

2 New Dishes!

2 New Dishes!

Every weekday, Jovann will be having porridge for lunch and dinner if I am working. So I like to give him something new during weekends when I cook for him myself. :) This weekend is no exception, and I tried 2 yummy dishes for the first time!

Saturday Lunch. I made up this dish myself.
Baked Chicken breast with Organic Apples, Zuchinni and Carrots.
Why baked? coz I read that besides steaming, baking is the only method of cooking that preserves the most amount of nutrients during cooking process, even more than steaming.

Just to share what I did. First, preset the oven to about 180degrees.
1. Dice zuchinni, wash, and set aside with organic baby carrots
2. wash chicken breast and cut into 2 pieces
3. Only when about ready, cut and peel apple (I use about 3/4 of the whole apple, you can adjust the amount).


4. Heat up a tiny bit of unsalted butter in a pan, heat up the zuchinni and carrots, and sear the chicken fillet pieces until slightly brown outside. Remove from fire.
5. Arrange all ingredients in a small baking dish (mine is only about 10cm in diameter, just right for baby food!). Pour home made chicken stock over it (chicken stock was made with chicken bones, thighs, potatoes, onions, carrots, sweet potatoes, boiled and simmered for close to 3hours. Can also use plain water).


6. Cover with aluminium foil and bake in oven for 30mins.


7. Remove from oven, puree with the remaining chicken stock in the baking dish.


After puree-ing



Allow to cool slightly, and serve to hungry baby!


The taste of this dish is very light and refreshing, I love it! lucky, Jovann seems to feel the same way, though his first few mouths were a bit hesitant, he finish everything! Think I made too little. hehhee. One lesson learnt though, think I put too much chicken stock. After baking and when all ingredients are cooked, you need some stock to puree finely, but I still have a bit left so I drank it! hehehe.



Sunday Lunch.
This time, I used one of Gina Ford's recipe, but I replaced onions with organic leek bought from L'organic by my friend B :) ) Didn't like the idea of feeding Jovann onions. I also added some butternut squash for added colour.

Fish Lyonnaise.
Again, preheat oven to 190degrees celcius.
1. Slice a medium size potato into thin slices
2. Cube the threadfin, make sure there are no bones remaining and fish has been descaled and deskinned.
3. Cut the white part of the leek into fine slices (discard the leaves and greener part).
4. Thinly slice a small portion of butternut squash.


5. Arrange the ingredients in the small baking dish. One layer of potato, followed by cubed fish, followed by sliced leek (I drizzle it around) and squash, with a small bit of unsalted butter. Repeat this until you run out of ingredients or until dish is full hehehe, ending off with fish and a bit of butter.




6. Cover with home-made chicken stock. Drizzle cheddar cheese on top.


7. Bake in oven, uncovered (coz got cheese) for 30mins.
8. Remove from oven and puree in blender. Allow to cool and serve to baby!




When it was baking in the oven and the cheese was bubbling, the scent coming from it was unbelievable. Even when pureeed, it tastes good! hehhe. This dish, contrary to the Baked apple and chicken, is hearty and wholesome taste. As Jovann loves potatoes, I was right in assuming he will like this dish. hehehe, he gobbled it all up!


Lesson learnt, I put in too much cheese. In my own opinion, it was a bit salty for babies if eaten regularly. Next time I will only blend in half the cheese, or perhaps try to find unsalted cheddar.

Very happy this weekend!!!

3 comments:

Littlegastronomy said...

Well done girl! nice dishes!! just too cheesy, I mean a bit too much cheese on your fish dish la..

HEY! I've got the same oven as you at my mum's! did u notice that when you went over??

I'm actually here to dig, dig for your pics la.. heehee

Anonymous said...

Bren, yes yes, I agree *nod head*, its too much cheese for a baby lah. Think I kinda got out of control there coz I like baked cheese lots!! though he likes it, but next time I will use only half or less! you think it will fall within the range of 800mg per day for babies of 9mths?

Same Delonghi oven? really?? I didn't see! i was kinda distracted by your deep fried super thin luncheon meat and sweet potatoes lah...hehee!

- Bin

Anonymous said...

This is simply yummy! Can i request for this dish when i visit you? Hehehe... ;)