A Little Space to Call Our Own

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker


The 2 of us

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Selective Listening

This is something that I have been meaning to blog for months.
Jovann can be totally selective in the things he "hears". If its something that agrees with him, he will hear it fine and well. If  its something that doesn't benefit him, he will pretend otherwise.

An example from a few tele conversations with him months ago.

Positive Example
(Jovann called me)
Jov: Mommy!
Mommy: Hello Jovann, have you had your lunch?
Jov: Mommy! Can I drink chocolate milk? wai gong says I must ask you.
Mommy: Yes you can.
Jov: Ok!!! *turns to ah gong and yelled "我的妈妈说可以!"*
(He hanged up the phone)

Negative Example
(Jovann called me)
Jov: Mommy!
Mommy: Hello Jovann, have you had your lunch?
Jov: Mommy! Can I drink ribena? wai gong says I must ask you.
Mommy: Hhmmm. No you can't, because you already drank a lot yesterday.
Jov: Huh? What Mommy?
Mommy: I said, NO you can't.
Jov: What did you say Mommy? I can't hear you!
Mommy: I said No You CANNOT drink Ribena, Jovann.
Jov: Huh?? What???!!!
(He hanged up the phone)

I can't believe it!!!
 
Then just this evening, something similar happened again.
 
Scene: Jovann sitting at his table, and I was sitting 3 metres away. He just finished complaining to me that Ah Ma don't let him sleep on our King bed ("Daddy's bed") during this afternoon nap. He told Ah ma that Daddy allowed him to sleep on "Daddy's bed", so she must allow him too. Ah Ma was worried that he may pee on the big bed because nowadays he don't wear diapers to sleep.
 
Daddy, whom is standing 3 metres away from him, starts explaining.
Daddy: Jovann, you can only sleep on Daddy's bed at night. When Daddy is around. Ok?
Jov: Daddy, my ear very small. I cannot hear what you are saying.
Daddy: I said that during your afternoon naps you CANNOT sleep on Daddy's bed, you can only sleep on your bed.
Jov: Daddy! I told you my ears very small, I cannot hear you! You need to speak louder.
Daddy and Ah Ma was quiet for a  moment, thinking how to proceed.
Me (deciding to "test" him, and using the same decibel as Daddy): Jovann, you can drink ribena. Can you hear THAT?
Jovann: No I cannot hear that.
Another pause from him.
Jovann: You should say..... (raising his voice at this point) "YOU CAN DRINK RIBENA!" then I can hear.
 
All 4 adults, plus maid, burst out laughing.
He was smart enough to pretend he didn't hear that first sentence about ribena, but yet not smart enough to really continue pretending he can't hear! So funny lah.

No comments: