A Little Space to Call Our Own

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker


The 2 of us

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Breastfeeding....Inspiration

I came across this lovely poem posted by a friend. When reading it, it warmed me inside, because it provided me a quiet push to continue this breastfeeding journey, it affirms that my baby wants me to do this for as long as I can. A powerful emotion surged through me and I knew that all the endless washing, sterilising, pumping, early waking, storing, buying only the best milk bags, is all worth it. I suddenly realise Jovann will grow up fast, that he will not be a baby as long as I want him to be, and one day he may find that he don't wish to nurse anymore. When that happens, will my heart be broken? Or will I feel relieved? No matter how it is, I know that being able to nurse him is one of the most beautiful thing about motherhood. Holding him in my arms, seeing his eyes close in relaxation once he latches on, or watching him visibly calm down though he was crying his eyes out before this. Nowadays his little hands touch me when he drinks, grabbing onto my blouse as if he is afraid to let go, as if he don't wish to let me go. Watching me with a trusting loving gaze. Even at times he is overly excited and thrashing his hands all over the place and hitting me on the face, I enjoy holding this little bundle, this little bundle that is growing bigger and bigger everyday, in my arms and know that I am providing him the best I can provide at this moment. Mother Nature is amazing.

Mommy I love your milk so sweet and yummy,
It's the very best stuff for my little tummy.

Mommy when your patience is running low at best,

sit down, take a few deep breaths and bring me to your breast.


Mommy hold me close to your soft warm chest
Because being in your arms is where I like being best.

Mommy do not listen to those who say I am spoiled.
It's just that you're my favorite person in the whole wide world.

Mommy when their negative comments put you to the test.
Don't worry, trust yourself
Because mommy you know me best.

Mommy ignore them when they ask, "Isn't it time to wean?"
Because when to stop is up to only you and me.

Mommy continue rocking me, sing another song.
I am still a baby, but not for very long.

No comments: