A Little Space to Call Our Own

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker


The 2 of us

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bento Craze

Thanks to my son's none existent chewing habits, and his fussiness for food, I have recently embarked on a bento craze. So have a few of my closest mommies, and we all had fun sharing pics!

I hasn't done as many bentos as them I think, lazy lah...also can't find the time to do it for all meals hehee. But here are a few pics of some I HAD done.

#1 - 1st Bento. Breakfast.
***yogurt, rusk, fresh blueberries, chocolate milk, sliced plum, nutella sandwich, scrambled egg***

Verdict (by Jovann): He only ate the usual, which is the yogurt and chocolate milk. He tried the rusk but didn't like it, only pretended to put1 blurberry into his mouth and spit it out, and didn't touch the sandwich, plum or egg at all. Sigh.

Of course, being the persistent mom, I tried again. Cannot let my bento purchases go to waste right? Ai pia jia eh ya!

#2 - Thomas Snack box
***Lychee jelly, buttercookies, bah hoo, raisins and honey stars***


Jovann's Verdict: Exactly as I had predicted to my mommy friends before that. He woke up from nap and saw this, and went all excited, even threatening to cry when Daddy teased him and didn't wanna give him. Then he proceeded to finish up the 2 cookies and ate quite a bit of the lychee jelly. Didn't touch the raisins, honey stars and bah hoo. Sigh.....my purpose of bento-ing was to get him to chew food he won't otherwise chew. But no go still.But....at least he ate 2 cookies instead of 1? Hahaha!

Side note, as J not eating well in school, I have resorted to making such a snack box everytime (If I am the one fetching him) and let him have it on the way home. Bad I know but I don't want my boy to go hungry without breakfast. :(

#3 - Dinner. Not really a real bento, just made the rice into heartshapes, and dumped the food into the box thats all. Heee....what an ugly one. I nearly didn't put this photo but find the heartshape rice cute lah.
***blackcurrant juice, blueberries, sweetpotato and pork ribs soup, stir fry tau kwa with minced pork, and rice***

Jovann's verdict: It did help him to eat more rice! He asked for "more heartshaped rice"! But no no to chewing still. He also didn't self feed, mainly scooping dishes into the soup, then scooping soup into the minced meat. And yep, the blueberries stay unmolested.

#4 - Bento Dinner before his 1st Night Safari Trip.
***watermelon (stars and bunny shaped), stir fry mushrooms with xiao bai cai, pan fried teriyaki salmon, grapes, rice (bunny, dog, bear)***

Jovann's Verdict: Well, if you guys reading this are imagining he was so impressed by Mommy's efforts that he self feed each and every morsel, you can't be further from the truth. heee. Well, Mommy here still feeding him, but also letting him play with it at the same time lah. Anyway, this bento shows some benefits, however tiny, in that he started enjoying watermelon FOR THE FIRST TIME! nono still to the grapes though! So, you can see.....baby steps at a time!

#5 - Snack bento I brought to the Night Safari that night.
***mini sponge cake, watermelons, grapes***




Jovann's verdict: Both J and DN took one look at the offering, and turned away to attack Auntie June's kueh kueh Bento. Heehe! lowest point when even DN didn't eat, but he did take the sponge cake but then decided to give it to his Dad! Well.....thats fine with me coz the cake is from Four Leaves lah, I didn't make it! But but but.....J did in the end ask and ask for more watermelon and cake, again and again on the train. :) Well...I said BABY steps right?

#6 - soo....Mommy took Auntie June's example and made a kueh kueh bento for the Bird Park trip! Hehee! that was rather well recieved by J. Though he only ate what he likes e.g. the pink wah gor kueh and the banana thingie.


#7 - Breakfast in playtex tray
***pureed pear, wah gor kueh, grapes (I don't give up do I???), scrambled eggs, with prune juice***




Jovann's verdict: Jovann enjoyed eating from this tray. He even self feed some of the scrambled egg, and the grapes FINALLY gets noticed this morning! He....looked like....he was chewing the grapes. Hee!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mommy!

happened to chance upon your wonderful blog.. U make such great effort in enticing your son to eat.. how admirable!

Btw, may I know where did you buy those bento or snack box from? and, where did you get those mini plastic stick which you used to put on the raisins?

Anonymous said...

hi anonymous! i have no choice! HEEE...the thomas snack box is just any normal thomas & friends merchandise. the yellow one is from tupperware. the REAL bento box i have not even posted pics. if u are asking about the clear plastic one i used for his bento bf and night safari lunch, its a Lock&lock box! hee! as for the mini picks, its a gift from a good friend, whom bought it online from japan. but DAISO in singapore also have!!!

Jen said...

I'm late but I am sooo impressed! Where did you get so much time to make it so pretty! I serve everything in a bowl... like those korean everything mix up... wahaha...

Unknown said...

Bin, I got alot of this kind of small small container for Amabel snack also, and also large cute lunch box, but i never thought of bento set for her. You are so creative, tempted to try too. Can teach me? What bento is all about? And also I really like the playtex tray you have, can just open anyone of it to eat, so nice, where to buy huh? And also those decor like the food stick with the bear ot cartoon on it, it make the bento so interesting and yummy. Let me know where to get and I shall try doing mine when I had all this to decor. hehe

Anonymous said...

wah girls, thanks. hehee.

Jen, yah not much time so very rush sometimes hehe, and I don't do everyday lah. your Jean eat so well and chews too, you dun need to do this wor.

E-ling, hahaa I am not creative, this is called desperate! hehehee...actually mine is really nothing, u shld see those real bentos by the Jap moms, amazing! u can check out some bento blogs, June's blog got some interesting links! I bought the playtex tray through June, who bought it at UK for 7pounds and brought it back. She saw it here at First FEw Yrs Paragon selling at $27 SGD! The bento picks (the sticks u talking about) was from Japan website but Peach saw it at DAISO plaza singapura! only $2 if u get it here, with 12 picks in a pack hehe. very good value!