A Little Space to Call Our Own

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker


The 2 of us

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jovann sick

The reason why our blog was in hibernation mode for nearly 3 weeks - J being sick for 2 weeks plus and me getting all busy gearing up for the inevitable return to work! *big sigh*

Dear Jovann was sick a few days before CNY, having runny nose initially. After seeing a GP (this is the last time we will see a GP if a kid is sick), his runny nose instead of getting better developed into a super chesty phelgmy cough. The antibiotics prescribed by the GP didn't work.....because it wasn't bacterial in the first place! the poor boy had to put up with loose stools for the course anyway.

J's 1st time at the GP


Fooling around with the tongue depressor


We kinda got quite worried during CNY coz no PDs in the right mind would open in the first 2 days of CNY right? Yet J was not getting better and his sleep was so disturbed and he vomited so many times from coughing. Our hearts ached...and finally a kind mommy (THANKS BM!) recommended a very good doctor who scored distinction straight away in my heart by OPENING her clinic on the 3rd day of CNY! even our own PD is not working yet that day. We nearly went down to Mt Alvernia to see a stand-in PD whom we didn't like, but thanks to the contacts from BM,we went to Mt E instead. Dr B strike us as someone who love kids, but is very matter of factual and doesn't over prescribed med. Even with the nebuliser, she was cautious and asked us to try it out on him in the clinic before prescribing us the med (in case he violently rejects it). She even told us NOT to buy the machine, just go beg-steal-borrow (in her own words), heee!

So....it happens that during CNY, we felt so proud of our son. We were gearing up for tears and thantrums and phyching ourselves up to pinning down his arms. But none of that was needed. Jovann took the nebuliser willingly, after only a bit of coaxing! I LOVE MY BOY. I suspect it could be coz we have been wearing masks around him recently (coz we can't fall sick as we are also handling Jazreel). But whatever the reason, he made us proud. Though seeing him with the nebu mask on makes our heart aches in places we didn't know existed, we are ultra glad he's so guai at times like this.


Throughout this period of sickness, it was super tiring for us too. I had to keep Jaz apart from J, therefore Jaz is mostly in her own room whole day, either napping or awake, coz J was coughing and coughing in the rest of the house. Moreover, just to be extra cautious, I change t-shirt/mask and wash hands (sometimes even my neck/collete coz both kids will burrow their face into my neck) everytime I walk into Jaz room or carry her, so does hubby and the maid. Not to mention the fact that J is super clingy to me and us coz he sick, so there was a lot of tears when I had to walk into Jaz room and J wanted to follow me for example. I know some will ask why don't I let the maid feed. Well, for one, Jaz hasn't been napping well during CNY, so I want to be there for her to put her to nap coz she prefers me. Secondly, if I am to protect Jaz from the bug, I want the freshest milk for her isn't it? Of course, I spend as much time with Jovann as I possibly can at other times.

Poor J coughed/vomited so much that once he start coughing, he would grab automatically for the nearest plastic bag we had prepared for him. Its lucky we have a maid, else washing the stained bedsheets night after night is no joke.

No comments: