A Little Space to Call Our Own

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker


The 2 of us

Monday, October 6, 2008

Leg Cramps

I was hoping I can post this only after I give birth, coz that means I won't have leg cramps for my whole 2nd pregnancy. But well, good things dun last, had my first leg cramp last night, exactly at 37 weeks hehee.

Yes Yes, I knows its super lucky already. When pregnant with Jovann, my leg cramps were so regular at night I lost count. Which is very common among pregnant women I am sure. Which is why, for this pregnancy, I was so so grateful and amazed I managed to avoid it until now. I have some ideas why this was so, thats why this post.....thought of sharing with other preggie mommies these things in case they really works, why not?

- My gynae taught me a trick, which has been really useful for me, but I find it helps only when you are awake enough at THAT time to do it. She said, once you feel a cramp coming, meaning you feel the beginning of one, FLEX your feet TOWARDS your shin/towards you. This stretches the calf muscles behind your legs, and it works like magic every time to stop that cramp. I have been a light sleeper throughout this pregnancy, and I have used this to ward off cramps for many many times, its amazing.

- Take calcium supplements at night before bed and sometimes drink my preg milk before bed. I did this all throughout without knowing its helping with my cramps, I did it only coz it was the most convenient and available time to eat my cal tabs, coz I eat my multi vits and fish oil in the morning and I am not supposed to mix my cal tabs with my multi vits as calcium hinder absorption of iron (the same reason you are not supposed to drink milk with your multivits or iron pills). It was only when the nurse told me the reason recently for why its best to eat cal tabs at night, that I realise my practice has been helping with the cramps. Certain studies have shown leg cramps could be due to lack of calcium, and by eating cal tabs at night or after dinner somehow ensure your body has enough calcium during the most cramp-inducing time.

- Drink more water. It will help reduce water retention and nightly leg cramps.

- Walking strengthens legs and improves circulation, the lack of which is one of the culprit for leg cramps at night during pregnancy. I walk much much more during this pregnancy than when with Jovann, for the simple reason that I need to, and I feel that I am more able to. I was focused on really pampering myself during 1st pregnancy, for thats when you are treated like you are so fragile mah right? But for this pregnancy, I find myself doing the things I usually do, walking, running errands, going out with my son, walking out for lunch instead of asking coll to tabao. But pls listen to your body or your doctor's advice, and don't walk so much if so advised by your doctor for medical reasons yar?

I think its the factors above, more so than hubby's nightly leg massages, that helps with the cramps. Though the leg massages are life savers for my Restless Legs Syndrome which can be super irritating!

No comments: