A Little Space to Call Our Own

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker


The 2 of us

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Making a Mess with Zoo Crafts

I was inspired by a few homeschooling moms, and I decided to do something different from Jovann this weekend besides our usual kicking balls, playground, playdates and swim. I am not good at this, so what we did may seem very juvenile to some, but J had fun doing it so that's what counts right? *making excuses for my poor arts and craft skills hahaha*


I started off using the book by Ursborne's "The Zoo" as theme this first time. Its a book we bought from Melbourne when J was 1yr old, and he has been reading this book for the past few weeks. It was also from this book he learnt of camels, rhinocerous and crocodiles.

I started off with his favourite animal. Elephant. He already knows the distinct features of the elephant, but I went through it again with the book. I had previously cut out the shapes of the elephants parts, and now I asked him to glue the parts on to the paper. Before I drew in the eyes, he couldn't figure out where to put the "big flappy ears" hehee.

Completed!


He took this photo of his own artwork.



He did all these, except the body and the head. I then held his hand to write in the word "Elephant", letting him read aloud each letter as we write. Very funny, initially he put both ears on one side of the head (I forgot to take pics), and I warned hubby not to laugh when he ran to show him (Hubby actually then commented matter of factly...."oooh....the elephant has 2 left ears...". But J took a 2nd look at the pic and said himself "its wrong" and ran back to the table to remove the ear and placed it in the right position.

Next, on a later occasion, we did monkeys. :) For some reason, whenever he sees trees or plants or even shrubs, he will say "monkeys!" or "elephants!". So I drew the outline of the tree (simple trunk and round top), and prepared yellow (I dun have brown) and green paint. Now thats when he got excited. Time for making a mess!!!! He looked at the bottles of paint and went "Wowwwww.....", then proceeded to pour the entire $2 contents onto the paper hahaha.

He painted.


Or rather, he smeared the green onto the tree top, with his hands,


with the brush,


with the spoon even heheheehe!


After the tree is completed, he put in the monkeys. :) The big monkey is blocking the tree trunk lah.


Next, tigers!!!!

For some reason, he chose the blue paint when I asked him "what colour do you want your tiger to be?". Well, have to nurture their creativity right? So..... a blue tiger was borned. Actually a blue tiger and a blue tiger cub. I really don't know what I was thinking when I drew the tigers so small! He's only 2 yr old!!! So.....you can see where most of the blue paint landed on. :P

Then he put in the black/brown stripes. :)

ROARSSSS!!!!


I considered whether to cut out the tigers and paste it on another paper to make it more presentable. But I figured what the heck, this is DONE by my son!

These 3 pieces are now pasted on our wall. :P

No comments: